Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lock and Key



Lock and Key

by Sarah Dessen

YP FIC DESSEN

Ruby was making it fine on her own despite her mother's disappearance. Her landlords were just busybodies, and she definitely didn't want to move in with her sister that she hadn't seen for ten years. Ruby doesn't get much of a say in it though, and before she knows it Ruby is living in a Swanky house watching her brother-in-law (the CEO of a website similar to MySpace) build a pond in his backyard. That is, when she isn't watching her cute neighbor swim his nightly laps in the pool. Ruby doesn't trust anyone, and she certainly doesn't need anyone. She finds though as she gets to know her sister again that life isn't always what it seems. When one of her friends needs a friend, she realizes it is up to her to help.

Ruby's tough exterior seems to melt away quickly, but to be fair, she has a lot of incentive to accept this second chance. Both Ruby's sister, Cora, and her brother-in-law, Jamie, are fun and interesting characters. The time it takes to get to know Cora is well worth it. Nate provided interesting contrast, while Ruby's other friends add color and fun to the story.

It took me awhile to get into this book, in large part because of alcohol and drug abuse (normally a deal breaker for me). Since this is a story of second chances, I kept reading, and I'm glad that I did. My one complaint would be that I would have liked to have some dates added to the story. It took me awhile to get a grasp of the time frame. However, the writing was good and I really liked the characters. As always, I want to know what happens to the characters next!

No comments: