Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Little Prince by Joann Sfar YP FIC SFAR

A man stranded in the desert tries to fix his downed airplane before he dies of dehydration or starvation. As he contemplates how certain death seems he meets an extraordinary boy that comes from the stars. The boy tells the man about his kingdom across the sea of stars and the flower that broke his heart. Together they discuss and experience life, death, love and all the other beautiful invisible things in this graphic novel adaptation of the timeless classic The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (FIC SAINT).

I read The Little Prince for the first time when I was 11 years old and have re-read it about a zillion times (give or take). Reading as a teenager was different than reading as a child, and reading as an adult was even more different still, but the sense of wonder and love the book brings never lessened over the years. So I can say that the original The Little Prince is one of my Most Favorite Books of All Time with some credibility. That’s why when I picked up the graphic novel adaption I was skeptical. Sure, it was adapted by James Sfar, an excellent artist and writer of the wonderful The Rabbi’s Cat (YP FIC SFAR), so it MIGHT be okay. I was totally floored with how much I loved it. even though I still love the original novella and it’s simple illustrations, Sfar’s unique style brings the book to a brand new life. He captures the magic and playfulness of the original book and the totally understands the humor. Sfar’s art has a fun rough quality. He mixes simplistic and detailed line work in a way that never seems confusing. It’s as beautiful and poetic as Antoine de Saint-Exupéry masterpiece. Read both today!

No comments: