Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Homeland Directive by Robert Venditti


Dr. Laura Regan is wanted for a crime she didn’t commit and chased by government agents that don’t exist.  Her only hope for survival and to stop a deadly biological attack that could kill millions is to trust a group of disgruntled government agents trying to stop the very government that conspires against her.

This feels like it could be on the big screen at any moment.  The visuals, pacing,  and presentation feel very much like a big screen techno-thriller and I don’t think that’s an accident.  Loads of comic books (even those without any superpowers) are being turned into movies these days, so anyone that can draw has a good chance of getting their screenplay noticed, by making it into a comic book.  This isn’t to say Directive is in anyway a bad comic and I think loads of people will enjoy reading this movie as much as I did, but I did find myself thinking that sometimes the way a panel was laid out or the POV of characters jumped around felt maybe too movielike.  I might be totally reading too much into that, so definitely don’t take my word for it.  I do heartily recommend it as a fun popcorn thriller with some really nice twists and turns.  It is also a very effective look at technology and privacy issues.  So if you want to read an action movie, this is a really good bet.

No comments: